Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This isn't really about Sufjan Stevens....



Are you sure you like Sufjan Stevens, or are you just pretending because all the critics are gushing over him? Personally, I keep trying to listen to him to find out what it is I might be missing that continues to force me to pass on him, time and time again. It usually starts out with "you know, this song isn't bad" but always ends up with "fuck, this song is annoying as hell" and I turn it off. I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will. Just like Beefhearts "Trout Mask Replica".



I don't know. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I like "songs". You know the kind with discernible melodies, verses, choruses, etc...music with emotion behind it. There's only so much improve I can take before I start calling bullshit. I'm the same way with jazz. Coltrane, sure....Albery Ayler, not so much.

Force Field, sure...Sufjan Stevens, not so much.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same about trout mask replica.

    And I liked come on feel the illinoise when it came out, but it hasn't stood the test of time for me. I listened to it again maybe a year or so ago and I couldn't resist skipping each track.

    ReplyDelete